Fox is getting into the Mindy Kaling business.
The network has officially picked up the pilot of an untitled comedy from The Office’s Kaling that would star the writer-actress as a young “Bridget Jones-type” doctor trying to navigate both her personal and professional lives.
The project, which hails from Universal TV, would be written and executive produced by Kaling, with Parks and Recreation and The Office’s Howard Klein on board as a nonwriting executive producer.
NBC, which has already picked up more than 10 comedy projects this season, passed on the single-camera project before it landed at Fox.
The pilot order is the second off-network pickup for Universal Television as of late.
The Kaling project comes as the actress has long talked about playing an OB/GYN on screen and days after NBC announced plans for a potential Office spinoff that would see Rainn Wilson’s Dwight Schrute run a bed and breakfast on his family farm.
The project joins comedies from Cougar Town’s Bill Lawrence, Men of a Certain Age’s Mike Royce, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’s Rob McElhenny and Rob Rosell, Shameless’ Mike O’Malley and John Wells as having received pilot orders this season at Fox.
The network has ordered an untitled comedy pilot from the comedic duo, who previously collaborated on a sitcom pilot Boomtown more than a decade earlier. The current project centers on an ensemble of young people who are trying to achieve their creative dreams in these tough financial times.
The pair, who both spent time writing for the Late Show With David Letterman in the mid-1990s, will write and executive produce the comedy, which hails from Berman/Braun in association with Universal Television and CBS TV Studios. Gail Berman, Lloyd Braun and Gene Stein are also attached as executive producers. These producers have worked on such shows previously as Malcolm in the Middle and Seinfield.
Louis C.K. will have to make room on an already full schedule of his titular FX comedy, for which he writes, directs, produces, edits and stars. The comedian, who also wrote for The Dana Carvey Show, The Chris Rock Show and Saturday Night Live, still does a significant number of live stand-up shows as well.
Feresten, the Seinfeld and Simpsons alum has a writing credit on an untitled single dad comedy project in development over at Fox. The project, which counts Chelsea Handler as an executive producer and will star comedian and co-writer Josh Wolf. Feresten and Dana Carvey had a sketch comedy pilot in contention at the network in 2010. From 2006 to 2009, he had an eponymous late night series on Fox.
I really wish I did not have to wake up early this morning. It took all my energy to make that 15 minute drive this morning. It was only around 11 a.m. but that was early for me on the weekend. I do not have early morning classes for a reason. It was hard to get back to sleep too once I arrived home. Waking up that early must have fucked up my brain. I had the weirdest dreams last night and this morning. One when some water spilled on me and I jumped like it was a nightmare. The dream was so realistic though because I was in my room. Another one was off some Fast & Furious shit supposedly. Another one was at a track and I got robbed. It ended with a SWAT team. My brain took some LSD without me knowing. If any of you want to interpret these for me? No? I did not think so. I could not even tell you all the details of the dreams. The only reason I know bits and pieces of it because I told some people. These people of course tried to interpret my nonsense. But I did not read into it too much. I will probably look back on it later. Or not.
P.S. This took entirely too long…I get sidetracked so easily.
I finally watched The Hangover 2 today. I am glad I waited until the hype died down. To say I was not impressed is an understatement. They did not try to change the storyline from the first one in the least bit. The cover band was funny the first time. The second time? Not so much. I already laughed at that a couple years a go. I have had enough of that. That is like if I told you the two muffins in the oven joke. It is only funny the couple times. If you do not know that joke, I will put it in my P.S. for you.
For me today, I did a bunch of nothing. I tried to watch Young Adult before the Hangover 2. The quality of the ones online were bad though. I might have to Redbox it. I wonder how much the movie company get from Redbox sales. It is only a $1 so it probably is a nickel for each rental. I like to watch my movies at the privacy of my home anyway. I do not need the experience of popcorn or sticky floors all the time. All movie theater floors are sticky and I do not want to know why either. I do not need that overpriced candy anyway. The 3 for $3 deal at Walgreens candy is fine with me.
P.S. Two muffins were in the oven. One muffin said, “it sure is hot in here ain’t it?” The second muffin said, “Yikes! A talking muffin.”
A friend of mines wrote this in my journal and wanted me to type this up. Most of this information is like a long list of her personal accomplishments but I feel like typing since I have to wait for The Hangover 2 to load. The names has been changed to protect the privacy of the person. You can probably figure it out if you are nosey Rosie.
The 25th is always a wonderful day because Alice Smith is the 25 of all 25s. For that reason, we dub her as the curvy quarter. She is the curviest girl I have ever known. She is so awesome…no…gr8…that I am going to list 25 facts about her.
1. Her favorite subject is Math. (She doesn’t let me forget she took AP Calculus in high school.)
2. She has two younger brothers, Carl, 17 (who I act just like) and Caleb, 15 and they are very close.
3. Her favorite colors are red and gold but she is obsessed with pink, girly things.
4. Her favorite number is 5.
5. When she gets pedicures, she always gets her big toe a different color than her other toes.
6. She has played the violin and piano since she was 8 years old.
7. She ran track in high school. (That is why her legs are so gr8.)
8. She took dance classes: Jazz, ballet, tap, high and modern up until she was 15.
9. When she graduates with her doctor of Pharmacy in 2015, she wants wants to become a retail pharmacist and learn the languages to help foreigners with health care issues.
10. Her favorite shoe brand is Jeffrey Campbell. She owns six pairs and counting…
11. She wants to use her signing bonus to buy a Range Rover.
12. In high school, she was class president for her freshmen, sophomore and junior school years and student council president her senior year.
13. She graduated in the top 6%of her high school class.
14. She has the Bill Gates millennium full academic scholarship for up to 10 academic school years.
15. She holds her sorority, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. near and dear to her heart because of their commitment to uplifting the black community and their unparalleled leadership.
16. Alice has extensive campus involvement at Florida A&M university.
17. He favorite cell phone she has ever owner was the Dolce and Gabanna Gold razr.
18. Her favorite book is No Disrespect by Sister Souljah.
19. Her favorite genre of movies is romantic comedy/ chick flicks.
20. She is a huge Harry Potter fan.
21. Her favorite genre of TV shows is mystery. (Monk, Psych, Law and Order: SVU and Sherlock Holmes)
22. She is a fan of musicals. (Some..not all)
23. She is one of the most headstrong women I will probably ever meet.
24. She is a grammar freak. (Probably because she took all honors and AP English courses and made an 11 out of 12 on the ACT plus writing.)
25. She’s the most well-rounded, intelligent, goal-oriented, driven, diligent, and industrious woman I have ever met and although I will not admit it, she’s been a wonderful addition to my life.
I am glad that is over.